Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Halloween Decorations

In an attempt to make Jack-O-Lantern that couldn't be destroyed/eaten by the squirrels, I decided to make my own! For this project I took small mason jars and painted them. I started with two coats of orange (acrylic) paint to give off the vibe of a pumpkin. After, I decided to use black paint to make the design. In this particular jar, I decided to pain "Jack Skellington" from Nightmare Before Christmas. Although, it is hard to see from the photo, I used sparkly paint on the spaces inside of the black lines so that it would look bright. After I finished the designs I went over the whole jar with a clear glossy finish to hold in the paint, waterproof and prevent chipping. I just dropped a tea light in and think that my jars were a success. They were very bright and created even more light than a typical Jack-O-Lantern. I placed these on my steps on Halloween so that the kids could see them while trick or treating! I hope this project inspires you to make your own - they can also be great for Hanukkah. I made them with the children that I Nanny for and they basically made their own menorahs and lit them up each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment